New faces at Brig

30 Oct 2018 10:55


BAMBER Bridge boss Neil Reynolds has strengthened his squad with two new signings.

Blackburn Rovers U23 goalkeeper Oliver Byrne has arrived at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium on a month's youth loan.

The former Manchester United scholar joined Rovers in February after a stint at Cardiff City.

He is joined in the Brig squad by Andy Howarth. The 29-year-old has signed from Glossop North End on a permanent basis.

The wideman and midfielder's former clubs include Blackburn Rovers, Rochdale and Falkirk.

Meanwhile, there was a major milestone on the pitch for a familiar face at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium.

The club's Integro League Cup tie against Mossley was club captain Matthew Lawlor's 300th appearance for Brig.

The central defender made his debut at Irongate on November 22, 2011, in a league game against the same opponents.

Before the game manager Neil Reynolds presented him with a trophy to mark the milestone.

And the boss told the club's official website: "Matt's loyalty and impressive performances during his stay at the club have made him not just a popular leader in the dressing room, but also with the fans.

"Matt is an inspiration to others and I am just glad that I have been able to share and see his development during his last 300 games. Well done skipper, here is to many more!"

Bamber Bridge's Emirates FA cup campaign came to a resounding end in their second round replay against Cleethorpes Town, losing 5-0.

While Bamber Bridge has recovered from 3-1 down in the initial fixture to force a rematch at Sir Tom Finney Stadium, the visitors quickly stamped their authority on the game, controlling the action throughout and eventually running out comfortable winners.

Starts for Jamie Milligan, Chris Marlow and Hyuga Tanner marked the changes to Brig's starting line-up.

Despite a bright start that saw Bamber Bridge press forward early on, Cleethorpes took the lead after 13 minutes through a goal from former Blackpool striker Scott Vernon.

Difficulties mounted for Brig after they were reduced to 10 men at the 30-minute mark, with Michael Potts shown a straight red for dangerous play.


You may be interested in